MATTHEWS – The Matthews Board of Commissioners approved a settlement agreement at its meeting Monday, March 24, acquiring the last right-of-way property needed to extend a portion of Campus Ridge Road.
The extension, which is a project with the North Carolina Department of Transportation, will provide easier access from the Central Piedmont Community College Levine Campus to East John Street. The board voted unanimously Monday night for a settlement of $270,000 to acquire the last parcel, known as the Drake property, needed to move the project forward. Other needed property already has been acquired. Matthews will pay 20 percent of that cost, which includes all temporary construction easements, as well as the permanent drainage easements. NCDOT will cover the remaining 80 percent, said Annette Privette Keller, Matthews town spokesperson.
“The vote was unanimous, and there were no questions and no problems. I think every one realizes with a campus like this, you need additional ways in and out, especially if the campus continues to grow,” Privette Keller said.
Construction on the project will start later this year, Privette Keller said, though NCDOT hasn’t given the town specifics yet. The project will construct a road segment from East John Street that will tie into the existing Campus Ridge Road. For the project, Campus Ridge Road will extend out to East John Street further north than where the road currently connects near the intersection of East John Street/Old Monroe Road and Stallings Road in Union County. The extension will eliminate a bend in Campus Ridge Road and allow drivers coming from CPCC to stay straight on Campus Ridge going toward the new East John connection or turn left to follow Campus Ridge toward Stallings, according to design blueprints of the project.
“It’s going to make a much nicer entry way into the campus,” Privette Keller said of the current winding road. “This gives it more of a straight
The project is needed as traffic at the CPCC Levine campus continues to grow. Privette Keller said future plans also may be in the works on CPCC’s side to create more parking on the site, and an additional connection could be helpful in those future developments. Peak hours before classes create a back up currently on Campus Ridge Road and CPCC Lane.
Officials with CPCC could not speak with Matthews-Mint Hill Weekly prior to press deadline.