Doctor excels in treating prostates
MATTHEWS – Urology Specialists of the Carolinas announced Dr. Thomas Phillips’ has been designated as a UroLift Center of Excellence.
The designation recognizes his experience treating men suffering symptoms of enlarged prostate, including frequent or urgent need to urinate with the UroLift System.
The UroLift System is a minimally invasive treatment option that requires no cutting, heating or removal of prostate tissue. It can be done in an office setting under local anesthesia.
Subdivision, patio up for vote
MINT HILL – Town commissioners could decide on up to three zoning requests at their next meeting at 7 p.m. Jan. 11 at Mint Hill Town Hall.
Public hearings have been held for each of the following requests:
• Mattamy Homes seeks to rezone 125 acres near Jefferson Colony and Bartlett Road to build a 247-lot community. People in Jefferson Colony have panned the plan because it would connect to their neighborhood via Statesman Drive and Liberty Hill Drive.
• Hoods Crossroads Retail wants to redevelop a restaurant building on 2.97 acres for one that includes outdoor dining and patio area. One potential snag with this request is a setback encroachment.
• Sam’s Xpress Car Wash Properties is trying to amend a site plan to allow fuel pumps at a previously approved car wash at 9230 Lawyers Road. The firm also wants to rezone 1.77 acres it bought from Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools to a business use. This one hasn’t generated any negative discussion.
Chamber surveys members
MINT HILL – The Mint Hill Chamber of Commerce encouraged members to take a survey Jan. 3 to help plan how to best serve the business community.
The survey consisted of 10 questions, including what type of networking events members attend and how they stay connected to the chamber.
Another question asked how members would like to increase their knowledge. Choices included effective networking, the numbers of owning your business, social media marketing, marketing and PR, hiring, profitable partnerships, time management and the legal ABCs of entrepreneurship.
The chamber not only sought feedback, but also ideas for future programming.
H&R Block arms accountants
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – H&R Block has opened 10,000 offices nationwide to serve taxpayers during the upcoming filing season.
H&R Block has an office located within five miles of 95 percent of Americans, including Matthews (10046 E Independence Blvd. and 3116 Weddington Road), Mint Hill (9229 Lawyers Road) and Charlotte (5622 Independence Blvd., 9020 Albemarle Road and 1848 Galleria Blvd.) residents.
Offices help with filing 2017 returns, W-4 planning for 2018, or dealing with IRS-mandated refund delays.
H&R Block’s free Federal 1040EZ offer will allow approximately 23 million taxpayers to file a Federal 1040EZ for free for a limited time at participating offices.
Visit www.hrblock.com for details.
Author talks about balance over breakfast
MINT HILL – Marybeth Mayhew Whalen, author of “When We Were Worthy, The Things We Wish Were True,” will be the keynote speaker at the Mint Hill Business Women’s Network’s next breakfast event.
Whalen, co-founder of www.shereads.org, will talk about balancing work and personal lives.
The event takes place 8:30 to 10 a.m. Jan. 16 at Carillon Assisted Living, 5601 Margaret Wallace Road. Register in advance by calling 704-573-8282 or visiting www.minthillcham berofcommerce.com.
Visit www.marybethwhalen.com for more details about Whalen.
Novant Health adds ratings
WINSTON-SALEM – Novant Health is launching online reviews of physicians based on data collected through patient experience surveys.
“Providing safe, high-quality care and a remarkable patient experience are our top priorities,” said Dr. Tom Jenike, chief human experience officer. “We know that part of that remarkable patient experience is giving our patients a voice and an opportunity to share their feedback with our organization and with others.”
Five-star ratings are calculated based on patient responses to 10 questions on a survey focused on provider communication. Responses are converted to a five-point rating system.
Ratings and comments from patients are posted for providers who have at least 30 responses in 12 months.
Five-star ratings will be posted on www.No vantHealth.org/doctor, as well as individual clinic sites.
Businesses form in region
Registered agents filed the following corporations Dec.. 29 to Jan. 4:
• Exacting Standards LLC – Gregory Wright.
• ICG Investments LLC – Ian Goldstein.
• Island Daze LLC – Martin Price.
• Milked Lactation Services LLC – Rachael Collins.
• Studio 5038 LLC – Martin Price.
• A Better Focus Inc. – Talonda Johnson.
• A Grand Find LLC – Amy Sorensen.
• Carrie Anne White LLC – Carrie White.
• Project G LLC – Charles Levine.
• Wesam Al-bitar Clothing Store LLC – Sam Bitar.
• Carolina Closeouts LLC – Kimberly Hansen.
• Dogtooth II Corp. – Anthony Griffin.
• Epiphany Content Writing LLC – Jolina Roberson.
• Ideology Designs LLC – Jolina Roberson.
• Jonah’s Life Skills LLC – Jonah Matthews.
• NiaRay Stylez LLC – Joseph Lambert.
• Puppy Cuts Pet Salon LLC – Kevin Mays.